Family pulls support from Chuck Brown Day to protect godfather of go-go's legacy

For the first time in the 12 years of the event, Chuck Brown’s family isn’t supporting Chuck Brown Day this weekend.

The family said it notified the D.C. Department of Parks and Recreation earlier this year that it was withdrawing its support.

They said protecting the godfather of go-go’s legacy and reputation and the integrity of any event bearing his name is their highest priority.

The family released a statement that said, in part, “The Brown family has made the difficult decision to withdraw our support for Chuck Brown Day, which we notified DPR of on Feb 3rd of this year. After three years of being marginalized in both the planning process and the overall direction of the event, we no longer believe the event reflects the level of collaboration, respect, and stewardship that Chuck Brown’s legacy deserves.”

The family said Chuck Brown Day needs new leadership that would include the family’s input.

News4 reached out to the mayor’s office for a comment.

The event is Saturday at Fort Dupont Park.

Get the D.C. area’s top news and weather delivered to your inbox every morning. Sign up for First & 4Most, our free newsletter.



from Local – NBC4 Washington https://ift.tt/6seJkaB

Post a Comment

0 Comments