Jail time — That’s what U.S. Attorney for D.C. Jeanine Pirro says is on the menu for parents of repeat juvenile curfew violators.
Her latest remarks come after a video of teens brawling inside a Chipotle restaurant in Navy Yard Friday night went viral.
One fight participant smashed a baby highchair over another’s head as terrified patrons tried to stay out of range until the path to the door was clear.
Friday night’s brawl inside the Navy Yard Chipotle came just hours after the press conference where Pirro announced she planned to target the parents of repeat curfew violators.
Monday, she doubled down.
“If your teen, parents, is a curfew violator, you’re subject to a $500 fine each and every time. And if there are crimes under contributing to the delinquency of a minor, you face up to six months in prison, and I am not shy about looking for jail time,” Pirro said.
The extended youth curfew has proven controversial in the District and with the D.C. Council. Critics argue it does address the root cause of teen takeovers and has not fully prevented them.
Last month, the council voted to extend the police chief’s power to create emergency curfew zones through 2028 with some restrictions, but the legislation is not expected to go into effect until late summer, as it must still undergo congressional review.
Agreement could not be reached on a version that would take effect immediately, a move strongly pushed by Pirro.
DC Mayor Muriel Bowser released a statement Monday night that says, “I urge the DC Council to immediately pass emergency legislation to restore the extended juvenile curfew in Washington, DC.”
Pirro says she has already contacted D.C.’s police chief requesting the parent information for repeat curfew offenders.
from Local – NBC4 Washington https://ift.tt/sCkRheu
0 Comments